Sunday 30 October 2011

Divine connections

A little less than a year ago I set up this blog as a New Year's Resolution type thing. 
As you can see, it's totally worked out...
There have been plenty of times when I've sat down to post something, thought about just doing it, screw what people think! Etc, etc, etc. It's taken that many times of attempting to finally getting here to the actual doing part. I think it's good to admit that. It seems that these days, people are far to quick to clean up a story, shun the parts that seem ugly or build people up in a certain light, lose certain stereotypes and bad stigma attached to the focus and whatever was it that we were trying to portray again? 
I can safely say I don't want to be in that kind of boat. Which means that this blog isn't going to be something where I tell you why I'm amazing, or how amazingly I write. When it comes to it, aren't we all looking for someone to relate to?
And that's the thing about how I came to eventually writing this finally first blog, it was through those who knew me. I set this blog page up on my own, I started it through the words of those around me.
This is the part where I tell you how amazing MY FRIENDS are. 
It would take the better part of about a week for me to talk to you about the friendships I have and why each one of them scores its own brilliant high score on the leader board of 
...friendship. (They should make one of those....if they did it would definitely include some kind of cuddly bear mascot wouldn't it.....they should NOT make one of those)


Heather Flynn. So much laughter. So much love for you.
Chloe Edmonds. Ahhhhhh!
Let's just say that my friends are some of the most inspiring people I know. They allow me to sit through their own personal lives, inviting me to take the closest look into all the mess, mistakes, overreactions, confusion, beauty, love and wisdom that they walk through. Moment by moment I am raking in the cautionary tales and encouraging pep talks from these wonderful people. They are not afraid of my being their judge as they sit there and spill out the contents of their hearts. 
Dear Shannon
Not only that but then, they, in turn, patiently and silently let me rant on about buses not turning up on time and having to walk through the rain, why oh why couldn't I have just learnt to drive and bought a car already, I'm 23 for pity's sake, where is my life going? I don't even have a car....ugh! (There are a few people probably reading this thinking, oh yeah, I was the one she told that to. No no. You were one of many. I was really stressed about that bus....)
My point is, I am blessed enough to have people in my life who allow me to just be me. And what's more, they encourage me to share who I am with the world...
They tell me I look good when...seriously, really, really not!
Ok, that was a side track. But considering this, considering all of this, I found the courage to sit here and write this down. Why is that? Because they gave me something that I found worth sharing. 
Your life doesn't just become amazing. It doesn't show up one day all shiny and new on your doorstep with a built in automatic cleaning button. You make of it what you will. I could sit here for another year whilst I gear myself up for hitting the 'publish' button. But I want to share what I have with you, dear reader (yes, I'm going to call you dear, enjoy it). 
I remember watching the film 'Into the Wild' and feeling so inspired about this guy cutting off all connections with anything he owned or knew to his life to start again, void of all description and recognition of the man he was before. He traveled a free man, not weighed down by the mundane regularities of a standard living and shunned any that told him he had to do things a certain way. As the story neared its end, he was in an abandoned old truck, in the middle of nowhere, dying a very slow and painful death. As he nears his tragic end he scribbles down his final mantra for life 
"HAPPINESS ONLY REAL WHEN SHARED."
Community. I couldn't have said it better myself. It took me almost a year to just write about it. Some guy had to go into the wilderness and die to figure it out. Let's take this friends cautionary tale and apply it. 
Here's to the start of many an honest blogging. I look forward to the journey. I look forward to walking it with you.

Sidenote: The ladies in these photos all have blogs too! Who would've thought..!:
shannydc.wordpress.com
......am I allowed to advertise other blog websites?

1 comment:

  1. I love you so much. You are such an encourager. Thanks for sharing this and I look forward to what is coming through your writing. Beautiful heart.....

    ReplyDelete